Monday 29 April 2013

Review: Wimbly Lu

I believe I've found the best cafe (yet) to satisfy my dessert cravings.

Welcome to Wimbly Lu.
 The place to be if you have a sweet tooth and an unsatisfiable appetite for desserts.


Wimbly Lu is one of those vintage, cozy, quaint lil cafes with wonderful environment and setting for camwhoring. It reminds me a bit of Carpenter and Cook (gosh, they serve great desserts too). Wimbly Lu is located at Jalan Riang, nestled between those landed properties and private estates. Not exactly the most convenient location, but it is still within walking distance from Serangoon MRT.








For somewhere so ulu, Wimbly Lu was really crowded. We reached the cafe at around 450pm on Sunday and was told that we had 6-7groups of customers in front of us. We estimated that it will take at least half an hour before it's our turn, so we went to Rokeby (just a few shops away) for a cup of coffee. We returned at 530pm and we were just in time. The best time to visit is around 6pm, the place is quite empty during dinner time.

Anw, we proceeded to order and after a good 15, maybe 20min, we were still waiting for our food! The table beside us ordered later than us and got their food within like 5mins-.- Turned out there was a 'miscommunication' with the kitchen, therefore we had to wait for another 8-10mins-.- means they forgot our order lo. I think i'll be quite annoyed if we weren't playing 'hardest game ever 2'. Actually now that I'm typing this, I feel abit pissed, the waiter didn't even apologize leh:( 
He said 'There was a miscommunication with the kitchen, is it okay if it takes another 8-10mins?'
Lol, you mean I can say not okay meh? Still have to wait right. 
Haha, so bitchy. 
But I think that was just a one-off incident, from what I observed the service was pretty fast.

Aside from the 'forgotten order', yeah, the food was pretty damn good. 
Here's what we ordered

Sticky Date Pudding ($6/$6.50-can't remember)

I think this is one of the best sticky date puddings around (Marmalade Pantry serves nice ones as well). Anyone tried P.S cafe's sticky date pudding before? I tried it once and it tasted like Huat Kueh (发糕). 
The sticky date pudding at Wimbly Lu is legit. It was packed with dates, not too sweet and was sufficiently moist (unlike the huat kueh at P.S). I guess the portion could be bigger, I was craving for more when we cleared the last bit of pudding off the little bowl.



Waffle with salted caramel ice cream and toffee sauce ($8.50)


Oh mah gad. This is da bomb. This is the mother of salted caramel ice cream waffle. As advertised on
several foodie blogs, this waffle was crispy on the outside and fluffy (freaking soft and fluffy) on the inside. Its quite amazing actually.


We requested for the sauce to be served separately so that we could try out the pure waffle, but you could ask for it to be drizzled on your waffle. The toffee sauce was a nice touch and it blends in nicely with my salted caramel ice cream. I like it that they offer toffee sauce, usually you get either caramel or chocolate so it's really good to have another alternative.


And of course, the salted caramel ice cream.
It wasn't too sweet and the texture was quite light, not the creamy kind of ice cream. It beats the crap out of the salted caramel ice cream at Salted Caramel. The salted caramel ice cream at Salted Caramel used to be my favorite, but recently their salted caramel just tasted like vanilla ice cream. You have to try really hard before you realize 'ahh, yes, I can taste the salted caramel'. Yes, maybe some people prefer the subtle, faint and delicate kind of salted caramel ice cream, but for me, I like mine to be real distinct and easy to understand.

The salted caramel ice cream at Wimbly Lu is full on, in your face, 
BAMM! 'THIS IS YOUR SALTED CARAMEL'
 No speculation, no hesitation, once it touches your tongue, you know it. 
Salted Caramel


So as you can probably tell by now, despite the little annoyance, I'm obsessed. 

Here's a little map of Wimbly Lu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment