Sunday 25 August 2013

Gangnam (Running Man) Korean BBQ Restaurant

안녕하세요!! 
Gangnam (Running Man) Korean BBQ Restaurant is located at Chinatown along Temple Street. Some people refer to it as the Running Man restaurant because they have the Running Man logo on their signboard!


Met up with yl, joa and jordan on Friday to satisfy my Korean food craving. I think we arrived at around 720pm. However, there weren't any available tables, so we waited for roughly 10min for a couple to finish up their dinner. We were served by the shop owners who are both Koreans, so I suppose the dishes are pretty authentic!

Other than their signboard, there are a couple of running man related decor inside the restaurant, and a typical korean restaurant staple-tv screen displaying MVs/concerts of korean pop idols.





The restaurant was heavily short-handed that day. I'm pretty sure there were only 2 people running the entire restaurant. Our food finally came after about 30-40min wait, and we were all starving by then-.-

We ordered a 2-pax portion of marinated spicy chicken and spicy pork ($35). I don't think they serve  individual portions, have to get at least 2-person portion. Good thing is they allowed us to mix the meat!


The meat came with some vegetables and rice cake, and the side dishes were complementary (love the anchovies and kimchi!). Oh and they serve free mineral water! The waiter helped us to mix all the meat and veg together.

The main selling point of this dish has to be the SAUCE. Somehow it just complements and tastes yummy with everything. Damn it, I'm craving for it now :(
The pork was pretty good, juicy and thin (I like my meat to be sliced into thin pieces). The rice cake was softer and less chewy than some others that I've tried, but like I said, anything with the sauce just taste delightful. I'm not too crazy about the chicken though, it was pretty tough and dry, plus it came in quite big chunks. 

We also ordered the Kimchi pancake ($12). It was quite a generous portion, there were 6 pieces in total if I'm not wrong. Didn't manage to capture the entire pancake cos we were too hungry.


I think the kimchi flavor was rather subtle, I would prefer it to have a stronger taste. Nonetheless, the batter was good and it was cooked to perfection-crispy and slightly chewy.
<salivating> omg, such a bad idea to write this in the middle of the night.

From what I heard, usually Koreans will order either ramen or rice to mix in with the leftover sauce after they're done with the meat. We wanted to add in rice, but the lady boss suggested that we have ramen first. They literally just boiled the ramen and mix it in with our leftover sauce, veg and meat.

It was only when we settled our bill did we realized 1 portion of ramen costs $6 -.-



BUT! The $6 was soooo worth it. I know, it sounds very dumb to pay $6 for plain ramen. Let me tell you, it was THAT GOOD. Once I again, I think it's the sauce working its magic. If they sell the sauce individually, I will definitely buy some and spam it for my meals.

As I said before, the restaurant's quite short-handed, so in between dishes, there was always time for us to digest our food, and we never really felt full enough. So we decided to add in 2 portion of rice ($3 each) to our pan. By then, we had ran out of sauce, so they added in more sauce for us!




The rice came with some seaweed, veg and seasoning. It was still flavorful because of the seasoning and sauce, but somehow it was just lacking something. Therefore I would recommend getting the expensive ramen instead of the rice!

Our empty pan.



The menu at Gangnam Restaurant is quite extensive. In fact, there's a couple of things that I wanted to try, but didn't get a chance this time (e.g their kimchi soup!). I'll definitely revisit them again, perhaps during an ulu weekday night like Tuesday where there's less people. But I think they really need to hire more staff, it was pretty obvious that they're having a bottleneck.

P.S I just realized our receipt has 'Running Man Korean BBQ Restaurant' printed on it. So I'm guessing that's the official name now.

Gangnam (Running Man) Korean BBQ Restaurant
3 Temple Street
Spore 058556

3 comments: